Advertisements

Virtualization, Cloud, Infrastructure and all that stuff in-between

My ramblings on the stuff that holds it all together

Windows 7 and the Intel 855 video driver problem

Judging by the several hundreds of hits that this post on my blog gets every day since January I would say there is a *serious* demand from the general internet community to use laptops with the Intel 855 family video chipset with Windows 7, and it’s not even been released to the general public until now!

Whilst this may be an “older” chipset; in reality those laptops aren’t beyond serviceable life – and if anything the performance increases in Win7 will make them more usable and extend their life a bit further.

Nobody realistically expects fantastic 3D/Aero graphics from this combo, but a driver that supports the panel’s native resolution would be more than adequate for browsing/word processing etc. no doubt these ex-corporate laptops are being cycled around family members/students for some time to come rather than forcing people to squint at standard VGA.

There are ways to get the Vista driver bodged into Win7 (see this post and it’s comments), but it’s far from ideal or stable

Please Intel/Microsoft – surely you must be able to produce a basic/compatible driver by today! otherwise I’m sure some of the Windows launch parties could be something of a disappointment!

if it goes by way of evidence – this is the number of hits my original blog post about this problem has had in the last 10 months, it will be interesting to see what it does from launch day onwards!

screenshot_01

Advertisements

7 responses to “Windows 7 and the Intel 855 video driver problem

1. Bruce G. November 19, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Totally Agree! These are great little machines for browsing in your bed, and it completely sucks that neither intel nor microsoft don’t bother to provide a driver. I mean these are completely usable machines for God’s sakes, even without glass and aero effects! Come’on people lets have some nice driver, it shouldn’t be that difficult!

BG

2. Dicko February 27, 2010 at 12:04 am

I know this is an old post, but is there a resolution yet? I just upgraded to 7 and have an awful screen res.

Thanks

Dicko

3. GC March 1, 2010 at 8:42 am

The Windows Vista Intel Gma driver works just fine on my Thinkpad R50E which is running Windows 7 Ultimate. You need to install Vista first and then extract the driver using DriverMax or DriverGuide and install manually after installing Windows 7.

• Fumblefingers March 26, 2010 at 10:20 am

But not everyone wants o go buy Vista just to get the driver for Windows 7. I havea laptop that came with XP and I decided to upgrade to Win 7. If the Vista version works then it can’t take them more than a few hours to have it modfied for Win 7.

4. EL April 10, 2010 at 5:33 pm

There is a much simpler way to get the Intel GMA 855 Driver to work on Windows 7 — see this link http://www.groundstate.net/855GMWin7.html

And unlike all of the other Vista driver solutions, this one actually worked for me on a Sony VGN-T350.

• Reza October 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Thanks you very much EL! Thaaaaaaaaaaaanks.

5. hiren July 25, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks, it works but that not support aero feature of win 7.